The process of lifting places perhaps the greatest loads on the low back and therefore, has the highest risk of injury. Use of proper lifting mechanics and posture is critical to prevent injury. In the end, it is more important how you lift than how heavy a weight you lift.
Here are a few tips on how to lift safely:
- Place the load immediately in front of you.
- Bend the knees to a full squat or lunge position.
- Bring the load towards your chest.
- Assume a neutral position with your back.
- Tighten the lumbar and buttocks muscles to “lock” the back.
- Lift now from the legs to the standing position.
- Lift from a twisted / sideways position.
- Lift from a forward stooped / imbalanced position.
To learn more about our chiropractic services, call us at (610) 265-0220. Dr. Johns is the Main Line chiropractor your can trust with all of your aches and pains. Visit us at 206 Allendale Rd in King of Prussia.